Sunday, May 1, 2011

Busy Hands

Since the house has been up for sale, I've had to put my rug hooking and quilting away. I just can't seem to do either without taking over the whole house! And taking something out and then putting it all away each evening just wasn't doing it for me. I know there are those of you out there who actually live that way--putting away your messes as you finish them--and I admire the heck out of all of you. I however, don't seem to be able to work unless I am surrounded by everything I own out where I can see it.

Anyway, not having anything to create was not an option either. I had to figure out some new things to try. Little things. Things I could do that did not take a bizillion supplies/pieces and that could easily transported and put away.

A few summers ago, I took (read dragged) my husband to a fiber festival. I know it sounds as if I am regressing here, but stay with me--it all comes together in the end. As we walked through all the booths with their roving and spinning wheels, I mentioned to him that some day I would love to learn to spin. Perhaps in retirement

Several weeks later he called me at work. He was at a garage sale and the lady was selling a spinning wheel for $15.00. Did I want it?

Really--$15.00? Did he know how much spinning wheels cost? There is no way he could find a working wheel for that price.

But he insisted and I figured that no matter what we would only be out $15.00 and could probably resell it on Craigslist if it didn't work out. Let's just say I didn't have high hopes. This is what he brought home:Yep--an Ashland Traditional spinning wheel. Now you have to understand. We are not the kind of people who make wonderful finds at a really great price. We are full-price people. I have friends who shop completely at Cosco and rummage sales and look like they stepped out of a fashion magazine--me....not so much.

So for us, the was like the moment on Antiques Roadshow where the lady brings in some dirt-encrusted item from her cellar and is told it is worth thousands of dollars. Even better, we didn't take advantage of someone who didn't know the worth of something like this. According to my husband, she had been spinning for thirty years and was retiring, hoping she could pass on the craft to someone else.

I took two classes at my local yarn shop and made yar that my teacher rather optimistically said had "lots of energy" and would "make good art yarn." Since that time, with practice I've been able to get things a little more under control and can make yarn that can actually be knit!

As you can see Moses enjoys spinning also:



No comments:

Post a Comment